The purpose of the Mental Health Officer course is to further inform and educate the officer in the area of mental health and issues pertaining to serving as a mental health officer, to include advanced crisis intervention training.
Prerequisites for class participation:
- All attendees need to bring a laptop to complete required class assignment.
- Completion of Basic Crisis Intervention Training, Course # 3841 or 3842; or Basic Peace Officer Course 1000 after January 2005.
Prerequisites for Mental Health Officer Proficiency Certification:
- Currently appointed as a peace officer, county jailer or justice of the peace;
- At least two years experience as a peace officer, county jailer, or justice of the peace;
- If not currently a commissioned peace officer or county jailer, an applicant must meet the current enrollment standards;
- If an applicant is a commissioned peace officer or county jailer, an applicant must not ever have had a license or certificate issued by the commission suspended or revoked;
- If an applicant is a commissioned peace officer or county jailer, an applicant must have met the continuing education requirements for the previous training cycle;
- Successful completion of a training course in emergency first aid and lifesaving techniques (Red Cross or equivalent); and
- Successful completion of the current mental health peace officer training course, pass the approved written examination for mental health officer proficiency, with a score of 80% or better, and pass the skills based exam with a grade of satisfactory.
Due to unforeseen circumstances this class is going to be rescheduled to a later date. We will keep you posted.
12625 Wetmore Rd, Suite 436
San Antonio, TX 78247